A Very Merry Christmas to All

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Frida Kahlo Captured

It's not like I didn't have enough to do this month, but I was inspired by Gauche Alchemy and the August Challenge. Frida Kahlo draws me into her darkness and so many of her quotes inspire me and how I view life.  I needed this challenge. It came at just the right time. I first found two pictures of Frida that I felt showed her "spirit" .I got them in the bottle using skewers as chop sticks. Then I tissue papered the outside of the bottle for texture and tore away to allow her "spirit" to look out. One of Frida's paintings is a skull with her eyebrows and flowers, so I decided it would be a perfect top for my bottle. In another painting she has an open chest with a fiery heart, thus the locket. The spirit is held in the bottle by chains. What would a tribute to Frida be without her turquoise color and her red roses? I tore some of her quotes that inspire me and inked the edges.Everything was sealed with matte gesso.
I call it "The Captured Spirit of Frida Kahlo", let me know what you think.
She is captured within the bottle, which is adorned with her favorite red roses and fabulous quotes.
I had to add a butterfly because I love her painting with butterflies.
and yet another spirit peeking out from inside the bottle.
A picture never seems to do something like this justice. The vivid colors do not show as well, glitter doesn't sparkle and elements do not pop..but I think Frida would like it and that's all that matters.
I love her saying "I paint flowers so they will not die" what a beautiful thought.

9 comments:

  1. What an awesome project! I love her "captured spirit". Thank you so much for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your Frida Challenge piece! It's a wonderfully creative idea for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This piece is amazing and it captures Frida beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, this is amazing and perfect for the Frida challenge at Gauche!

    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Kathie, that is incredible! I have to admit I don't know a lot about Frida Kahlo but your piece inspires me to want to learn more. Amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your project and your interpretation of this months challenge. Just awesome!

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing!!! I love the captured spirit vibe and all of the media you used. Beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I've just spotted on Gauche Alchemy that this won the giveaway! Did you know?

    Congratulations!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wonderful bottle!!

    Therese
    www.tmalakart.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete