A Very Merry Christmas to All

Monday, September 1, 2014

Another swap

I think my friends are correct. If I spent as much time making stuff to sell as I do making stuff to swap, I'd be rich.
But swapping brings a different kind of richness. Granted when you swap as much as I do your bound to get a rotten apple now and then, but even they have some merit. Poor made swaps remind me to try my very best...always. The fact that we all find beauty in different thing and in different forms of art is a wonderful thing. I'm sure there are those who would find my rotten apples worthy, while my swaps fall short. It's true when they say, you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time. So I will continue to do the very best I can and hope "some of the people" are pleased.
If you are looking for my Frida challenge, keep scrolling.
The swap I just finished was a 4x4 , theme "Stained Glass". I make real stained glass so this theme was difficult. I researched it, only to find a bunch of different techniques, none of which I felt comfortable with.I could see them used on a bigger piece, but not on a 4x4. I decided to just do my thing..I love Iris flowers, so I drew one the way I would if I was making a pattern for stained glass. I colored it with Copic markers, trying to give each piece the look of stained glass (which is not always consistent color. Gave it 4 layers of Utee and the leaded it with Gun metal  Stickles..I'm thinking about some copper trim to finish it off, not sure.
I wasn't happy with my first piece (a fish). When I asked myself my swap question " If you received this, would you like it?", my answer was  "Maybe", it just didn't say what I wanted it to say. It didn't make me feel good. When I finished this one and asked the same question. I was able to say yes, I'd love it and I'd display it..of course I think it needs trim LOL but I'm still not sure.

Now onto the Fairy Door adventure. Mine started out as the top of a cigar box. I sketched out what I hoped for and then cut it out on the band saw. The wood was flat so I used my dremel to put some score lines in (wood planks)
You'll have to wait to see  how it ends up, but I'm liking it so far...Haven't decided if I should put a Fairy behind the door, a scene or just leave it.
Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. Well I thought your iris was truly a stained glass piece Kathie, so I think you succeeded! And your fairy door start is wonderful, smart cookie you are to add the 'planks' with the dremel!

    ReplyDelete